Thursday, January 22, 2009

Activity 7.4 - An example of self assessment

Source
Ogilvie, Karen (2008) 'Re(2): Activity 7.4 - Robin's self Assess', Open University - H808 aeb324 R self ass forum, 05 December 2008, 11:27 PM

I found Robin's presentation very convincing.. Key for me was drawing on evidence that most of us are already familiar with (so we have some "reasonable" proof that it hasn't been fabricated, perhaps "planted" ;-) ) and we could see the series of related activities evolving (if we were prepared to follow them). In fact the discussion boards offer us a wonderful ability to "follow" at least most of the progression.

However, I can also relate to Karen's earlier comment
Having said that, I'm not convinced that I fully understand what a 'principled appraoch to self-assessment is'... - Karen Ogilvie
Perhaps the principles need to be spelled out so that we're entirely clear about how Robin's self assessment is grounded.

The use of three pieces was significant. Is this intended to be a form of triangulation? I bring this up because I'm recalling my phone interview with Kathy Chang Barker (a Canadian expert on eportfolios) where I asked her a [ fcp://@oufcnt1.open.ac.uk,%231004824/IET%20H808%2008I/H808%2008I%20Tutor%20Groups/H808%2008I%20Annes%20Group/H808%20aeb324%20Ideas/%23156388667 ]similar question. and she came back to me with this answer.

What I'm still not clear on is the relevance of rating one's ability here. That appears to be so subjective .. almost out of the blue .. that it's practically useless to anyone other than oneself. What might be more meaningful to me would be a realization of a new learning objective that relates to this or came out of this exercise... and perhaps over time, one could use the attainment of the these various objectives as evidence of "above average" ability.

No comments: